Saturday, November 14, 2009

I just made the best thing ever.
No lie.
I may never eat anything else again.
"What is it?" you're wondering.
Lemon squares.
That's right folks.
Lemon squares.
But these aren't your run-of-the-mill,
goopy, bright yellow monstrosities
covered with a layer of powdered sugar
just waiting to choke you.
(Is there anything worse than inhaling a lungful of
powdered sugar just as you take a bite of
what's supposed to be a delicious treat?
I submit that there is not.)
Any how. . .
Here's the secret recipe.
I got it from a food blogger
who got it from a can of Eagle Brand.

(Doesn't that look beautiful?)

Lemon Squares

Prep Time: 15 minutes plus baking time
Preheat To: 350ºF
Serving: 9 3" squares or 18 smaller bars

Ingredients:

1 cup quick oats, uncooked
1 cup flour
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1/2 cup firmly-packed light brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup lemon juice

Preparation:

1. Combine oats, flour, coconut, nuts, sugar, baking powder, and butter until crumbly. Pat ½ of crumb mixture evenly on bottom of 9x9" parchment paper-lined baking pan. Reserve other half.
2. In medium bowl, combine Eagle Brand and lemon juice. Pour Eagle Brand mixture onto crumb layer. Sprinkle remaining crumb mixture on top.
3. Bake in preheated 350°F oven 25 to 30 minutes. Cool thoroughly and cut into squares.

4 comments:

RPH said...

Oh delicious! I love lemon bars, but dont eat them often for the reason you suggested. I hate the inhalation of the powdered sugar!

These will be in my oven this week sometime. Thanks for sharing!!!

♥Tami said...

I'm a sucker for anything lemon! I'm pretty sure I have all of these ingredients, I think I might go make them now! Thanks for sharing!

Wendy Phelps said...

Yum! My husband loves all things lemon. I will make those for dessert tonight. Thanks for sharing!

Jake Kristina Andrew Grant Alexis said...

Hey! I just saw you on Amanda's blog page and thought I would take a peek. Hope you don't mind if I follow. I kinda like it. :)