Monday, May 10, 2010

Hiking

On Saturday we took the boys on their first hike. We did the Stewart Falls trail up by Sundance. There was still quite a bit of snow so it was a bit treacherous in places. It was a lot of fun though. Leo started out on Ty's shoulders (so he wouldn't slip on the snow and fall to his death).
I carried Jay Alvin in the Snugli.
It wasn't too bad except for the fact that I couldn't see where I was putting my feet. I slipped and fell about five times, but Jay never even woke up.
Once we got past the snow Leo took off. He kept tripping over roots and rocks at first. Then he figured out how to look where he was going and he did really well.
(He's pointing out a root so we don't trip on it.) Eventually he got so confident that he did part of the hike backwards.
Except for the parts with snow he hiked in all by himself.
When we were almost to the falls we came across a place where an avalanche had covered the trail earlier this year.
It was an adventure to get over. (This was the first place I fell.) But it was really cool to see.
You could even see where the fault line was.
(I'm a big nerd and this was exciting for me.)
Shortly after this we made it to the falls and sat down for a quick lunch.
Leo wanted to go swimming until he got close enough to feel how cold the water was.
Because it was now his nap time Leo started getting a little cranky.
And Jay Alvin just slept the whole time. (I'm not trying to look contemplative in this picture. I just didn't know that my face was in it.)
Any how, Leo wanted to be carried the entire way out. (And I didn't blame him. I wanted to be carried out too!) He actually fell asleep on Ty's shoulders and didn't wake up until we got off the mountain.
I was laughing at him the entire way. It was pretty cute.
I think we'll be sticking with shorter hikes until he's a little bit older. :)
Here's one more of Jay Alvin that we took at the very end when he woke up.

P.S. I love the way Blogger uploads pictures now. Way easier!

3 comments:

Eric and Andrea said...

Hahaha! So cute!! I love that Leo fell asleep on Ty's shoulders on the hike out. I can't believe you fell 5 times and on top of it all it didn't wake your baby up! Good job mom! Great pics and I hope you guys are doing well!

Cassandra Romney said...

I lost your blog for a realy long time! Im glad that I found it! I didnt even know that you had another baby! Wow! You guys are awesome! He looks so happy! Lucky you have 2 boys! I can only hope the way girls run in our family!

RPH said...

How fun! Isnt it crazy that there is still snow? (we still have some too) ITS MAY!!

I cant believe he fell asleep on Tys shoulders. Thats awesome.