Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Findings

Like nearly everyone else, one of my New Year's Resolutions involves becoming less fat. 
I thought I'd share a few things I've found that are helping me to accomplish that.

Fat free Reddi Wip
 In spite of the ridiculous way they have chosen to spell "ready whip" this stuff is delicious and only 5 calories for 2 tablespoons. You can put it on sugar-free jello and get your sweet fix for only 20 calories. Or you can eat it by the spoonful. My record is 20 servings at one sitting. Still only 100 calories.

Skinny Cow Ice Cream Cups
 These are definitely not as good as real ice cream, but they're one of the best imitations out there. And you can have more than a tiny spoon full and still eat other stuff without blowing your whole day. I especially like to scoop the ice cream into a cake cone (only 20 calories). It makes me feel like I'm getting more ice cream since it overflows the cone. And, cones are yummy. Especially when they're soaked with melted chocolate fudge brownie "ice cream."

 Nabisco Fudge Petites
 I randomly grabbed these from the plethora of 100 calorie snacks, and they are delicious! Melt-in-your-mouth, mint chocolatey goodness. More of an occasional splurge than an every-day snack for me, but that's because I like quantity, and these have a pretty small serving size.

Quaker Rice Cakes
 These are good for salty or sweet cravings. I especially like the caramel and the white cheddar. You can also get the bags of mini rice cakes, but I prefer these because the serving size is smaller and therefore less calories. I'm usually satisfied with one and even if I eat two it's less calories than a serving of the mini-cakes.

 Whole Wheat Ritz Crackers
All I can say is, "Where have you been all my life?" These crackers are so good! They still have that buttery flavor of regular Ritz, but also a nuttiness from the wheat. They are really good as a base for tuna or chicken salad, but they're best with cheddar. And you can have 5 crackers for 70 calories, which is about the same as plain saltines.

Ritz Crackerfuls
At 130 calories each this is probably the least diet-friendly item on my list. I really like it for an occasional treat though. It's just enough different from the every-day to feel like you're getting something special. 

Special K Cracker Chips
These are a little weird tasting, but if you want a lot of something for a relatively small amount of calories, these are for you. A serving is 27 chips, and that's 110 calories. I usually use these as a base for tuna/chicken salad, since that hides their weirdness a little, and I usually only have 15 of them, which makes it even fewer calories.

Sara Lee 45 Calories and Delightful
 There's nothing really special about this bread other than that it's 90 calories for two slices. Regular Sara Lee bread is 150 calories for two slices, and the really yummy bread is closer to 200.

PB2
Yes, that's right. Powdered peanut butter. I found this at the Commissary completely by accident one day. The ingredients are peanuts and sugar. You reconstitute it with water, so you save the calories that the oil usually adds. Now, it does not in any way compare to actual peanut butter, but at 45 calories per 2 tablespoon serving it's good enough. You can have an entire peanut butter and jelly sandwich (using sugar free jam and the sara lee bread) for fewer calories than 2 tablespoons of actual peanut butter. And it would probably be really good in something like no-bake cookies.

1 comment:

Autumn Crawford said...

Wow Kristen, I'm really impressed. You are so smart, you know that just saying, "I won't eat snacks or sweets" is impossible. Denying yourself of anything yummy is not a lasting diet plan. Coming up with healthier alternatives is a great route. I discovered the Special K crisps a few months ago, they are pretty amazing at how low calorie they are. I have been bad about the peanut butter, I actually eat almond butter and it's probably even fattier, I wonder if we have powdered pb at my Walmart. I never thought about trying to get less calories in my bread, you're really putting thought into everything you eat. Good job with your commitment and thoughtful approach, based on your wild success with weight watchers I think you will find success. Good luck, keep us updated, you rock!