Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Leo's First Birthday (though it's technically the second)

Well, Leo officially had the worst birthday ever. (I'm not kidding, it was pretty bad. We're a little excited about this though because if he ever complains about a future birthday we'll be able to tell him that it wasn't nearly as bad as this one.) He'd been sick for about 4 days with a mystery illness. The doctor said he looked perfectly healthy (aside from the fact that he'd had a fever of 101 or higher for 4 straight days) and that we should come back if it got worse and he'd check for a urinary tract infection. This happened to be two days before we were supposed to be leaving town for two weeks so I wasn't thrilled by that diagnosis. Well, the night before we left Leo got decidedly worse. He wouldn't sleep and was just screaming and screaming. We ended up taking him to the emergency room (mainly because we were leaving at 6 a.m. and his doctor's office doesn't even open until 7) where they took a urine sample via catheter (not at all fun) and told us that there was nothing wrong with him. (Yay for doctors and their endless supply of helpfulness!)

Needless to say, he was not a happy camper and neither was I. We got about an hour of sleep that night and spent the majority of the next day (his birthday) driving down to Arizona. I'm glad he won't be remembering this one.

We did, however, end up having two really good birthday parties later on in our trip. Leo had cake and presents with Grandma and Grandpa Reber, Krystal, Connie and Stu the night we got into town. Then he had a party with his cousins later in the week.

This is one of his birthday cakes. (I know it looks like it's for a little girl, but it's cherry chip cake with cherry frosting. Plus, I thought he would eat it better if it had sprinkles on it and the only ones available were Valentine's Day leftovers. He didn't seem to mind.)

He's just starting to eat it here. He was actually quite dainty about it in the beginning. He was just sticking one little finger in and licking the icing off nicely.

By the end he wasn't quite so nice. He loved the attention he was getting from everyone whenever he would make a mess and was more than happy to oblige.


He even got to open lots of fun presents. Thanks to everyone for making it a fun day (a few days late)!




3 comments:

Lesley Wright said...

Hi Ty! You have such a cute son! Little boys bring so much joy. I hope you and your family can come to the reunion in December. I am sorry that he was so sick. Did you ever find out what was causing it?

RPH said...

how fun! I wish I could celebrate my birthday in Arizona.

Did you ever discover the problem?

Cassandra Romney said...

WOW! I love that cake! I want it for my birthday!