Friday, September 12, 2008

Fun At the Fair

Today we went to the Utah State Fair and it was so much fun! I haven't been to the state fair in years, and I generally only went to ride the rides. This was definitely a different experience! We didn't ride any rides at all and we actually looked at most of the exhibits. Who knew it would be so entertaining? We started with the animals. This is Leo with some baby goats. We can't decide which is cuter, Leo or the goat, but I think I'm going to pick my son. (Though it was a close race!)



We also saw tons of rabbits (if you've never seen a mohair rabbit you should do a google image search. They're hilarious!), sheep, huge chickens, really cool geese and some of the biggest and best looking cows I've ever seen. You can't really tell, but the guy in the picture below this is actually using a blow dryer on his cow. Don't worry, he used hair spray too. I guess you wouldn't want any fly-aways on your (hopefully) prize winning cow's back. It's just that I have a hard time justifying putting so much effort into the physical appearance of supper.


Speaking of supper . . . the Utah Cattleman's Association was having a barbecue. I can't even tell you how good these sandwiches were. You see that grin on Ty's face? It's the steak. No, the onion roll. No, the steak. He can't decide. And the best part? It was the cheapest food at the fair! So instead of paying $4 for a corn dog we paid $5 for a steak sandwich and a bag of chips. Hooray!


We also watched the guy in the background of this picture carve an eagle out of a log with a chain saw. It was really cool but people kept walking up and standing right in front of us. I'm not kidding, at least five different groups of people did it. As soon as we would move over so we could see around the jerks who blocked our view another group of jerks would come on up and block our view again. At one point Ty said, "Should we just go stand in front of them all?" To which I replied, "No, because that would be rude." I swear, I don't know what happened to common courtesy, but there's a shortage of it in the world.


Any how, our camera batteries died about two hours into our adventure, so that's all we got. We also saw a mental illusionist, a reptile show and ended the day with a peanut covered caramel apple. Yeah, we're going again next year.

1 comment:

Cassandra Romney said...

Was that a petting zoo?? Why dont you have any pictures of thoes BIG BUNNIES! I loked them up and they are HUGE!! I love the pictute of you holding your son and he is just so cute!