Friday, October 30, 2009

So, this is the first time in weeks (yes, the "s" is supposed to be there) that all of the dishes have been done at the same time and I thought I would document it for posterity. (It took me two days to do it, and you'll notice I didn't take pictures of any of the other parts of the house because they're not clean.) I've been reading this book called Mothering With Spiritual Power by Debra Sansing Woods. Each chapter starts with a verse from the Book of Mormon and then goes on to tell how it changed her perspective on mothering. Chapter six is Alma 37:6 ". . .by small and simple things are great things brought to pass. . . ." She talks about how frustrated she used to get as a young mother because she could never seem to get her house clean all at once. She felt like she had to choose between taking care of her kids and taking care of her house. However, once she learned to utilize the "small and simple things" principle, she realized that the best way to do both was to just do a little bit each day. Then, even though the whole house was never spotless, no room ever got out of control dirty. I'm trying to implement this mindset into my life because my other option is to just stop cleaning altogether. Any how, I'll let you know how it goes.
P.S. This obviously applies to other things besides cleaning. For example, I'd been feeling like I didn't have any opportunity to sew, which is something that I love doing. Whenever I tried to sit down and work on a project Leo would freak out. So I've started working on things that can be done in bits and pieces. Now I'll pull out a project during nap time or after Leo is in bed for the night and work on it for 30 minutes or so. As long as I'm not too concerned about getting it done by a certain time it works great. Now I feel like I can still do things I enjoy without it causing a major uproar.

2 comments:

Kaytie Brown said...

Ahh the never ending dishes situation... not my fav thing in the world :) Thanks for your words of wisdom. That book sounds amazing!

P.S. good luck with the climbing business :)

♥Tami said...

That sounds like a book I need to read!
Can't wait to see you guys at Christmas!