Thursday, June 12, 2008

Impending Parenthood

Ty and I went to our first prenatal class tonight. It was pretty much a bunch of stuff that we already knew, but interesting none the less. The teacher was showing us a bunch of stuff that we're likely to see during delivery (catheter, IV, fetal monitors, etc.) and she pulled out the epidural kit. Holy crap, the needle looks like a drill bit! I don't even want to think about that thing being in my body. I'm guessing that the pain of labor will get me over that real quickly though. Hooray for local anesthetics. Also, there was this guy there with his wife and he was taking notes like a mad man. He literally wrote down every word the teacher said and made little diagrams of all the posters and visuals that she showed. At one point we were talking about contractions and he said, "I know they're called contractions and everything, but what exactly is contracting?" (I'm not kidding or exaggerating. I might have said "Okay, he's an idiot" in louder tones than I meant to. Oops!) Any how, I'm super excited to get this kid out of my HUGE belly. And I found out that any time after Tuesday I can go into labor and they won't consider it pre-term, so my hopes are high. (But my expectations are low, so don't worry.)

No comments: