Sunday, August 10, 2008

Hope

I remember when I was younger I was very afraid of having children. Not because I was worried about the pain or concerned that I wouldn't like being a mom, but because I wasn't sure it was fair to bring children into a world that was getting more and more wicked by the minute. I wondered if I would be able to help them deal with all the horrible things they would encounter on their journey. I remember hearing about the things that kids were dealing with in high school (girls kissing girls in the hallways between classes, kids bringing guns to school, religion and morality being mocked on all sides) and thinking that it had gotten so much worse in the few years since I'd been there. I wondered how much worse it could get and I worried again about bringing a life into such a horrible place. 
Today I found this quote by Boyd K. Packer. 
"[Today's children] will see many events transpire in the course of their lifetime. Some of these shall tax their courage and extend their faith. But if they seek prayerfully for help and guidance, they shall be given power over adverse things. Such trials shall not be permitted to stand in the way of their progress, but instead shall act as stepping-stones to greater knowledge." 
"Do Not Fear," Ensign, May 2004, 77
What an amazing promise! It filled me with hope, not only for my children but for myself as well. I love knowing that God is out there and that he truly does answer our prayers. I know that if we seek for guidance it will be given to us. There truly are so many things in this life that tax our faith and courage, but I know that all things are for our good and everything we experience is just preparing us for greater things to come. 

1 comment:

RPH said...

i love that quote kris! i am often troubled by the same things you mentioned. how horrible the world is becoming. but we can be a force for good, and hearing that promise from BKP makes me all the more focused. Thanks.