Tuesday, March 30, 2010

"No More Happiness" and other Happenings

So, Jay Alvin has been an amazingly good baby with one exception: He has the hardest time with tummy aches after he eats. We've started calling gas drops "dessert" because he has them after every meal. Several people told me that I should try giving up dairy. (Um, kill me now.) After several days of screaming baby I decided to give it a try. Well, it's been two days and . . . it seems to be working. (Huge sad face from me.) I'm super grateful, but also wondering why (after I already sacrificed 9 months of my life, my body, and went through a lot of pain to get him here) I have to sacrifice one of my favorite things in the world. Do you realize that no milk means no yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese, milk and, worst of all, no ice cream?!?!? What am I going to do without ice cream? Yeah, I don't know either. It's a good thing I love this little boy. (How could I not? Look at that cute face.)
Leo is turning into quite a good little helper. He loves giving Jay Alvin a bottle, throwing his diapers away (something we could never get him to do with his own diapers), and helping to burp him. I'm pretty sure the burping is his favorite because he's allowed to hit Jay Alvin without getting into trouble.

I decided that living away from family when you have a baby rocks because then your mom comes and stays with you for 2 1/2 weeks. She's been an absolute lifesaver! Especially since we all have colds right now. I'm pretty sure I would be dead by now if she wasn't around to let me get some sleep. She's the best!




We were a little worried that we wouldn't have as many pictures of Jay Alvin as we have of Leo. I don't think it's going to be a problem though. :)

4 comments:

Marie said...

I hear ya on the dairy Kristen. It doesn't love me so much anymore:(
Last night for family home evening, we made "banana soft serve" You take a cut up frozen banana, blend it in the food processor until it's creamy, then top with 1T cocoa powder mixed with 2 T almond milk. It was good. (Not ice cream, but I wasn't in pain the next morning:)

Or they make non-dairy ice cream:)
Good luck. Cute boys!

Heidi said...

my friends were/are vegan. anyhow- at sprouts you can get some icecream made with coconut milk- it cost a lot but it might help your cravings.

RPH said...

Oh Kristen...I feel your pain. I am off dairy too. And chocolate and coke and tomatoes and strawberries...the things we do for our kids huh? But it is better than having a fussy baby!

Love the pictures of your mom. Send her my way when shes done. I could use a hand and a little sleep would be nice too!

Love you all

Rob Bushman said...

Mom is the best! We sure have missed her here!!! And as far as the sacrificing, buck up! This is the first of many, many, many sacrifices!!! And you'll have to ask Mom, but I'm pretty sure it never quits. I thought after I got my kids to sleep through the night, I would be done giving up sleep for them. WRONG!!! I am up until at least midnight waiting for them to get in and then up at 5:30 to make lunches and take Rob to work. AND I'M NOT AS YOUNG AS I WAS WHEN THEY WERE WAKING UP FOR FEEDINGS! We love you and wish you were here so we could love on that cutie!