Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Sometimes I forget God. I don't mean that I doubt His existence, I don't, but I guess that I sometimes just accept as fact that He's there and don't stop to think about what that means. I know that He created everything, and that He's all powerful and totally in control, but I forget that He can be involved in my life in a real and personal way. I forget that I'm His child and that He loves me and is concerned with my welfare. I forget that I can appeal to Him for help and, most of the time, He'll provide it. Today He sent me a reminder of all of that.
I woke up this morning and just didn't feel good. I was tired and achy and I just wanted to lay down. Of course, Leo wasn't on board with this idea. He wanted to be entertained. During my morning Facebook check I commented, "Dear Leo, Can you please take a nap that lasts all day long so I can lay on the couch and try not to die? Thanks! - Mom." A few minutes later I pulled out his toys, turned on Nickelodeon and got situated on the couch. Then our apartment phone rang. (This doesn't usually happen as most people call us on our cell phones.) It was a girl from my ward who I know, but not well at all. She said that she had seen on Facebook that I was having a rough day and could she please keep Leo for a little while so I could have a break? My first reaction was to be embarrassed, and then grateful. I agreed and she said she would be over in a few minutes to get him. As soon as I got off the phone I started crying. It was a little ridiculous, but I couldn't help myself. I had just gotten an answer to a prayer I hadn't even been conscious of praying. I felt like Heavenly Father was reaching out His hand and saying, "I'm still here. I know what you're going through and I'm here to help." And I needed that reassurance even more than I needed the nap that I was able to take. (And believe me, I really needed that nap!) I'm so grateful for a God who not only knows me and takes an active interest in my life, but who also reminds me who I am when I (so often) forget.

7 comments:

♥Tami said...

I like this post! I think we are all that way at times!

Rob Bushman said...

I can relate to this experience so well! We had a Relief Society lesson on the Atonement last week. I am embarrassed to say that when I heard what the subject was for the lesson, I wasn't too excited. I mean, what else can be said about the Atonement! Well, I experienced "what else could be said". She took many of her comments from a book entitled, The Continuous Atonement, which I need to get and read. But alot of what she reminded us of was just this - that the atonement is not only for sinners but for everyone in every experience of life! He really is there and He doesn't always wait for us to ask "officially" for help. He loves us and knows what we need! And even more amazing than feeling it for your own benefit is feeling it and seeing it on your childrens' behalf! Something to look forward to. I wish I was close enough to help you out, but know that this sister in your ward was an answer to our prayers down here too! Love you, Lynnie

Rob Bushman said...

Okay, all you smartie pants! This is the part I can't figure out. I can make a comment, with Rob's picture and name. How do I create an account just for me if Rob already has an account on our email address? Meilyn

RPH said...

Such a great reminder Kris. Thanks.

After my last baby was born I had a lot of friends say "call me if you need anything" which I was grateful for. But what I really appreciated was the lady who just stopped by with food. Totally unexpected, and I didnt even know her very well. It had been a crazy day and it was great timing...just like you, it made me realize that Heavenly Father is mindful of me. And it reminded me that I need to be A DO-ER of the word.
Great post. Good luck in the next few weeks. Cant wait to see the little guy!

Jake Kristina Andrew Grant Alexis said...

Thanks for sharing! So true!

Kristin Lea Robinson said...

I am sending you an email to....these to email addresses I hope you get it....

"Kristen Wheeler" , "Kristen Wheeler" ,

Amy said...

Neat story! He does care about us and often sends little angels to help us. Congrats on Jay! ~Amy P.